Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 May 2014

3rd Molesey Band, Surrey, United Kingdom

For today, I give you two poems for two lovely children and their very proud parents...

This one's for Thomas for his first time with the 3rd Molesey Marching Band. It's not a new poem but it is most appropriate.

My Very First Drum

Grandad said
He knew where to find
An empty pepper tin
To make me a drum
Thomas, ready for action
My very first drum
So we climbed
And we climbed
The wooden stairs
Right up to the attic
A very large room

Grandad said
"It’s the granary, Tom
Where the salted bacon’s kept
Where the ham is kept as well
It’s all stored here
On great big hooks
Hanging and ready
To be hauled downstairs
For dinner or lunch
Made by your Mum or Gran"

Grandad found
The empty tin
Up on the shelf
Where he’d put it himself
In the corner of the room
In great excitement I took off the lid
And my nose took off as well
I sneezed and sneezed
Grandad chuckled and wheezed
Well, it was the pepper tin

Grandad and I polished
Until the tin sparkled and shone
We made a hole in the top
And the bottom
Then we threaded some string
Clean through the holes
And there it was
A beautiful thing
All shiny and bright
My very first drum

And (yes, I know one should never start a sentence with an 'and') this one (which is new) is for Amelia for her first time with the 3rd Molesey Marching Band.


Amelia, in action
See The Bugler

See the bugler standing proud
Hear the notes
Hear the echoed sounds
As the brass resounds
Leading the floats
Filling the air clear and loud

See Amelia in scarf and gloves
Ready to take her cue
Ready  for her refrain
To fill the air once again
As her eyes take in the view
Of the marching band she loves

See the bugler marching on
Hear the beat
Hear the rhythmic thrums
As the boom of the drums
And the brass compete
When the cymbals crash as one


4 comments:

  1. LOVED the poem about the drum, very sweet and it brought back memories. My Grandpa played and my older brother wanted to so he was gifted Grandpa's old snare drum. My mother sewed a pouch for his sticks. Everyone had new drums at school and my older brother never let on that he was embarrassed to be so different. It was blue sparkles, he and Dad painted it. Wonder what became of it. Road tripping through a-z, as I continue to blog a-z in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poems are lovely, but I especially like the one about the drums. That's sentimental having Grandpa make them. AtoZ road trip tour Michelle @ http://www.writer-way.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poems! I enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poems! And bravo to Thomas and Amelia for being in the 3rd Molesey Marching Band.

    P.S. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. If you want to accept it, you can find more info here: http://writewithfey.blogspot.com/2014/05/liebster-award.html

    Happy Memorial Day! :D

    ReplyDelete