Powered By Blogger

Saturday 13 April 2013

Lightning



[Continuing the theme of my Epic Fantasy, ‘The Daighacaer’ ("Day-gar-care"); Extract from Book I, Escape from Mount Vilipend]


The intensity of a lightning strike and the sharp brightness it exudes can burn one’s eyes if the strike is near enough.  We all know this and take care when lightning is about.  What would you think though, if the lightning which struck was black? 


Black lightning is one of the anomalies I’ve included in my story which, after all, is set in Faeré so anything is possible.  The Lighte and The Darke are opposing Deities in Faeré.  The Darke is intent on destroying The Lighte, while The Lighte’s mission is to save Faeré from evanescence.  Both Deities use lightning as weapons.  In the previous post on Karma, I made mention of the White Lightning of The Lighte, this segment expands on that a little and introduces the Black Lightning of The Darke.


Just prior to this segment, Caliginor who was still drugged from his recent feed, had killed and eaten his Head Scout because he hadn’t answered Caliginor’s questions satisfactorily.  This segment reflects on the reason the Head Scout had been so terrified that he’d not been able to get his words out quickly enough.


It was then that the Head Scout saw it.

A single blinding white flash blazed purposefully across the black, storm-turbulent skies. 

Source: Nasa
The incident took a merest instant before the flash disappeared as quickly as it had manifested itself.  A bright white flash, although an unknown anomaly within this darkest of all dark places, was not of significant concern.  However, as a second flash appeared and then a third, all of Caliginor’s grolls and minions who happened to be outside Mount Vilipend, panicked and scrambled for cover, any cover, as long as they felt they were hidden from the incomprehensible spectacle which they were witnessing above them in the skies surrounding Mount Vilipend.  It was a battle such as they had never seen before and it terrified them. 

A battle it was indeed; a strange, mysterious, fear-striking, panic-instilling battle. 

The severe and continuous storm which spun in perpetual motion around Vilipend grew in intensity until, as the Head Scout was to witness, that first white flash appeared. 

Caliginor’s permanent protective storm comprised sentient elements whose sole duty it was to guard Caliginor and Mount Vilipend.  These elements were concentrated, to a large degree, within the Black Lightning of The Darke and, to a lesser degree, in the enormous black container clouds of frozen rain and black snow.

The scout didn’t wait to witness what was most unquestionably a terrifying, yet at the same time, a strangely impressive spectacle.  He didn’t see the Black Lightning of The Darke pirouette and twine itself around the body of the intruder with a grace which was quite out of place in the violent storm-filled surroundings.  He didn’t see one sinuous streak of White Lightning of The Lighte extract itself elegantly yet forcefully from its captor. 

The scout also didn’t wait to watch the battle, which raged between black and white; dark and light; The Darke and The Lighte.  He knew only that he needed to warn his Darkenighte of the danger because, for some reason he couldn’t quite fathom, The Darkenighte had not yet risen to quell the intrusion.

It was this battle that the scout was trying so desperately to convey to Caliginor. 

So it was that Caliginor, Darkenighte of The Nighte, Overseer of the mortal Realm of Faeré for The Darke itself, remained oblivious to the build-up of The Lighte within his Realm.”

24 comments:

  1. Very evocative use of lightning Fe thank you so much and an extremely graphic Nasa photo! Your excerpt is intriguing to say the least. I remember that when the Buddha was about to be struck by lightning, the King Cobra emerged from the shadow to offer the Buddha its hood as protection.

    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black lightning is such a great image! Great post. Thanks for visiting my blog! Now following you via GFC. Hope to see you some more during A to Z! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fighting with white and black lighting - neat way to show the different sides. That image is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I've seen black lightning before. I've definitely seen grey, very deep blue and purple lightning, so this seems plausible enough for me, especially in a Fantasy. And that image is most rad!

    John at The Bathroom Monologues

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Everyone

    I wish there was a way to 'Like' your comments...

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a lightning strike on a house across the street from me when I was teenager. I watched it happen. Through a drawn shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lightning all the time in Johannesburg. The Highveld is renowned for its electric storms. I love watching lightning but from the comfort of my house. I wouldn't like to be caught in one.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Black snow, frozen rain, and black lightning. Terrific imagery. I love the way the last line of the piece sounds - almost like a tongue-twister - very visceral. Stopping by on the A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Joe and thanks for stopping by. I'm having a lot of fun with the story.

      Delete
  8. Black lightening -- no, I've never thought of it, but am glad I cliked on your link and read this.
    Interesting ... amazing inspiration.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Sylvia. Black lightning just sort of evolved. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  9. Wow, what an original and imaginative world you've created! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks. I think I live in my story world far more easily than I do in this one...

      Delete
  10. Very cool! Love the black lightning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great imagery. I really liked the black lightening. My daughter loves to write....I need to show her your blog. Thanks for linking up at Show Off Blog Party. I hope it has introduced new readers for you.

    Jules
    A Dose of Jules

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Jules

    Your site is lovely and I'll be visiting often, if you don't mind?

    I'm moving my blog at the moment so only have A-Z stuff on it. It'll be better once I get more of my posts moved over.

    Fe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fe,

    Thank you so much for sharing this at The Show Off Blog Party. Your play with words is great. It allows the reader to imagine what is happening. We look forward to having you again next week at the Blog Party :)

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica

      Thank you. I stopped by your blog - what a delight it is. I'll certainly be with you next week. :)

      Delete
  14. Very atmospheric writing, I like it. Cool how you have made the storm and lightning into characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I'm amazed at how many blogs you follow. I'll get there one day. I'm sure I told you that I think what you're doing with the A-Z Challenge is just lovely. If I didn't, take it as gospel... :)

      Delete
  15. I love atmosphere and you did an amazing job painting the visual for us.

    So nice to meet you, Fe, and thanks for dropping by my blog the other day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, Michael. I'll visit your blog when I need a dose of cyber-choccies. :) What a Delicious-looking page.

      I particularly like your 'L' post. My mother's maiden name is Lyon.

      Thanks for dropping in...

      Delete