At lunchtime today I had a taste of what it feels like to go into physical shock and my heart goes out to everyone who experiences it. I can also understand the sometimes drastic effects which shock can have on one's body, even to the extent of a coma or death.
My brother was showing me his new spray booth at his factory - that's the oblong structure which looks like an open container up on the right of the picture - and the very efficient industrial extractor fans he's in the process of having installed. Well, without thinking, I put my left hand into the, as yet, unsecured extraction tunnel to feel how strong the suction was and my fingers met the furiously-spinning blades of the industrial fan. For some reason unknown to me, I thought the extraction was generated from 'a big sucking machine' at the end of the tunnel. I'm so clueless...
I walked quickly back to the office from the factory for some first aid and, it's just as well I sat down because very soon wave upon wave of nausea hit me; all the blood drained out of my face; I started shaking uncontrollably and my breakfast threatened to vacate itself as I began to faint - and that's for a minor injury. I've been through much worse and not had the same reaction. I think it was the acute awareness that I'd very, very nearly lost fingers and could easily have lost a hand, that pummelled my solar plexus and did me in.
Yes, I can honestly say that I understand the effects which shock can have on one.